Personal protective equipment (PPE) protects you against health and safety risks at work. Personal protective equipment includes:
Gloves [DOC 263KB] [DOC 263 KB]
- eye protection (e.g. face shields and goggles)
- high visibility clothing
- safety footwear
- lab coats
- safety helmets
- respiratory protective equipment (e.g. disposable face masks)
A risk assessment should identify the need for PPE which should only be used as a last resort.
Your School, Institute or Directorate will pay for any PPE for staff that is identified by your risk assessment.
Selection and maintenance
You should ensure PPE is:
- Properly assessed before use to make sure it is fit for purpose.
- Maintained and stored properly
- Provided with instruction on how to use it safely
- Used correctly by staff and students