Introduction and functions
The QMUL Biological and Genetic Modification Safety Committee (BGMSC)
• peer reviews all QMUL GMO and Hazardous Biological Agent* risk assessments,
• classifies the risk level of the work, and
• monitors the effectiveness of GMO / hazardous biological agent containment measures across QMUL laboratories and related facilities.
The committee is a sub-group of, and reports to the QMUL Health and Safety Advisory Group (HSAG).
BGMSC Terms of Reference
The committee maintains the QMUL premises registration for GMO work under the GMO (Contained Use) Regulations 2014.
QMUL is registered as GM Centre 774 with the Health and Safety Executive.
The Committee is chaired by a senior QMUL academic staff member with experience and knowledge of GMOs and biological agents and the QMUL Biological Safety Adviser (Health and Safety Directorate) provides first point of contact for risk assessment review, competent topic advice and secretarial services.
BGMSC Chair: Dr Tyson Sharp (Barts Cancer Institute)
Biological Safety Adviser / BGMSC Secretary: Dr Mark Ariyanayagam (Health and Safety Directorate), 0207 882 8378
Committee members (with contact details):
All QMUL Schools and Institutes conducting GMO / hazardous biological agent work have at least one representative member; Occupational Health, Trade Union, research partner organisations and lay member representation is maintained on the committee.
BGMSC Meeting Schedule (2018/19 academic year)
The BGMSC meets once an academic term (and ad hoc as required).
1. Autumn term Meeting
Meeting Risk Assessment submission deadline: Wed 26 Sep 2018
Meeting Date: Tues 9 Oct 2018 (11:00 – 12:30 Rotblat G05, Charterhouse Square)
2. Spring Term Meeting
Meeting Risk Assessment submission deadline: Wed 23 Jan 2019
Meeting Date: Tues 05 Feb 2019 (14:00-15:30 Garrod 306, Whitechapel)
3. Summer Term Meeting
Meeting Risk Assessment submission deadline: Wed 22 May 2019
Meeting Date: Tues 04 June 2019 (14:00-15:30 Mile End – Room TBC)
GMO risk assessment submissions:
1. See meeting submission deadline date above for proposed GM Class 2 and 3 risk assessments.
(Proposed GM Class 1 assessments can be submitted at any time for committee peer review).
2. Draft GMO risk assessment on QMUL template
Genetically Modified Micro-organisms (GMMs)
Larger GMOs (plant or animals)
3. Submit to the QMUL Biological Safety Adviser by email (firstname.lastname@example.org )
4. Complete environment risk assessments (for Larger GMOs)
GMO Topic Page – QMUL policy, procedures and guidance along with full detail of the peer review, approval and notification process for GMO work.
Biological Agents risk assessment submissions:
*Hazardous Biological Agents – see criteria for inclusion here
1. See meeting submission deadline date above.
2. Draft BioCOSHH risk assessment and Project Summary on QMUL templates
3. Submit to the QMUL Biological Safety Adviser by email (email@example.com)
4. Complete any required permit / license documents (see summary below).
Biosafety Topic Page – QMUL policy, procedures and guidance along with full detail of the peer review and approval process for intentional research or teaching work with Hazardous Biological Agents*
BGMSC Meeting agenda and minutes are accessed here (Login required)